Walking the Dog, by Frank Sewell

(Belfast 1989)

From RPG Avenue to the Falls by a back-entry,
I turn where trees and street-lights
stand like giant sentries.

My dog (a revisionist)
pisses on their shoes,
sniffs the recent past

of the pavement, then gives it dog’s abuse.
Inscriptions, chalked, scratched, painted,
make the road a text. Here, ‘the fools,

the fools…’ has been ended
by a paint-bomb; both will be replaced,
the offence re-offended.

The wall around Our Lady’s Hospice
is like a book
read under blankets.

Torched in the neon look
of cars’ glancing headlights,
white letters lunge from the black:

DON’T LET THEM DIE.
I have to think hard
before the Hunger Strike

fleshes each word
with context.
My dog’s perked ears guard

the metre of my steps.
Deep in his night-dark coat,
he breathes hot hoary wisps

of impatience with the road’s,
and my own, meandering.
Hungry for the park, he strolls

on as if nothing
should keep a dog from grass.
And I follow him,

slowly, just in case
there is something
I could learn from all this

other than the scoring
of old scores: ‘SAS
three, IRA nothing’,

and vice versas
over and over again
till the Falls Road falls

flat on its name,
and the park seems a small
consolation buried under rain.

Copyright: Frank Sewell 

No comments:

Post a Comment